What is Wrong With My Boysenberries?

Hi- this issue has been occurring for a few years and I usually ignore it because we generally have tons of fruit but this year it seems to be affecting more berries. I've looked online and can't find a picture or description of this problem. What can I do for them? Will the problem affect my raspberries, which are newly planted this year?

Multnomah County Oregon berries boysenberries caneberries

It's called white druplet disorder. A druplet is the individual ball on the cane berries. I found this article from University of California with a good explanation: http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r71800111.html. It's not harmful and the fruit is still edible, but may not be as tasty. If you are planning to make jam, it's not really an issue, but for using whole berries it's not as pleasing to the eye. It's not surprising that you are seeing this now.

You're right; given the wacky weather and temperature swings we've been having, it's no surprise. I'm relieved to learn what this is and that my canes are alright- even more relieved that there is a fix for it! Gonna start hosing off my berries this afternoon!

Thanks Sara!