voles

Our residence in Grayson Co is infested with voles. They are tunneling under all our sidewalks, they are cracking. They are eating the root systems of all our landscaping, all our expensive shrubs, bushes, and flowers are dying. I have talked with 6 other people in the county that knew their plant life around their house had been dying and didn't know why. Voles......our place alone has at least 4 colonies. So we have 100's, we need lots of poison. Can you help????

Grayson County Kentucky

Jimmy,

We spoke last week about your issue, and I talked with UK and the department of Ag about it. With it being a residential area, unfortunately there's not a cure-all for the problem. Matt Springer, UK wildlife specialist recommended mouse traps, but since it's such a problem, contact Ronnie Vincent. He is a nuisance wildlife control operator for the ky dept. of fish and wildlife for our area. His number is 270-535-9466. So is Barry Armstrong (270-868-0102).
Matt did not recommend using any chemical control, however there is a website that sells some organic pest control for voles. https://www.planetnatural.com/?s=voles. I wish I had an easy answer for you. Voles are not an easy thing to control and options are limited and costly.If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to call the office 270-259-3492 or email me directly, whitney.carman@uky.edu.
Thanks,
Whitney Carman
Grayson Co.Extension Service