rogue squash?

Last year I had spaghetti squash, butternut squash and cantaloupe in my garden. This year many squash vines appeared and I thought they were volunteer butternut squash plants. As the fruit started to ripen I then thought they were spaghetti squash. But when I cooked one last night it was neither, a lot of water, white, very little flesh, no taste. What is it? I am a Master Gardener and would like to share the information with my group. Thank you

Harford County Maryland vegetables abiotic issues

Sounds like you have a genetically mixed-up squash! Actually, the three crops you reference are each in a different species from one another and will not cross-pollinate.

The volunteer in your garden is probably the result of cross-pollination last year between your spaghetti squash (Cucurbita pepo) with another member of the same species (zuchhini, yellow summer squash, scallop or acorn squash, etc.) The plant that crossed with your squash may even have been growing in a neighbor's garden. All of the volunteers in this family are edible- regardless of looks or flavor! jt