Basil- Downy mildew

Hello- I used to grow beautiful pots of basil. Then downy mildew arrived. I have had no success for years. They seem to die within a month or so. Has the problem subsided yet or is this still an issue? Thanks for your feedback. I am a frequent user of your valuable service. Thanks so much again. Patti

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Unfortunately, it's still a big problem. It has been widely reported in MD gardens over the past week. The only defense for gardeners is to plant basil multiple times in different locations. Eleanora is the Rutgers U. cultivar that has some resistance. They released two more cultivars this year that are only available to commercial growers.

Next year we will hopefully see the new resistant cultivars available to gardeners.

Tulsi basil (Ocimum sanctum, a.k.a Ocimum tenuiflorum) is resistant to the disease but is quite a bit different in flavor from Italian basil. It is used in Thai and Indian cuisine. jt