I didn't do a good job trimming my maple tree

Hi there, Tonight I trimmed a few branches on my maple tree. One branch took some extra bark with it, and I fear I've injured the tree. I took the piece of bark and reattached it so it's held to the tree with the kind of wrap used to hold gauze to an arm after a blood draw. I hope that what works for a human limb also works for a tree limb!!! Can you offer any suggestions for further care?

Cass County North Dakota

Good evening,

Good thinking. If the bark was replaced quickly enough, then your technique might work. If it was a long time and the tissue dried out, then it won't. Sometimes the bark is held in place with a small nail. You might also want to try some type of tape or flagging to hold it in place for this year. (I don't know how well your current material will hold up in difficult weather.)

Even if it doesn't work, the tear-out wound doesn't look too big - I've seen a whole lot worse.

Best wishes with your tree,