What is this plant

What is this plant I am sending a picture of this plant. I do not know what it is and why it is dying, although there is new growth on top. I wonder if you could help me with this, it would be most appreciated

Prince George's County Maryland plant identification plant care houseplant avocado

This looks quite a bit like Avocado. They need as much full sun as you can give them, and we'd suggest repotting it with fresh potting soil. The scorch on the leaves could be a build up of salts from watering or fertilizing, or if the plant dried out or has been positioned over a heat vent.
If you can put them outside for the summer and keep it watered, it would like that.
There is a lot of good information online on how to grow avocado as a houseplant/tree, though it is unlikely that it will ever bear fruit.