Eliminating speargrass from garden site

We've recently moved into a house with a garden bed that's been neglected for years. It's currently full of spear grass, already going to seed. How do I get rid of the grass and it's seeds so I'm not fighting it until the end of time? I hope to do some fall planting this year and really get the veggies going in the spring.

Thanks!

Douglas County Colorado

The biggest problem you will have is that over the years a seed bank will have been created in the top few inches of soil. Most of these types of grasses will be viable for many years and continue to germinate. As you hoe and work the soil you will bring up seeds which will germinate.

So, yes you should cut the current grasses and dispose of them and their seed heads.

No easy solution, each year you will have to pull up the grasses. The less you till the soil the fewer seeds you will bring up into the germination zone in the top 1". I am also providing a link to an article of an extension person who has reclaimed a derelict garden. https://pss.uvm.edu/ppp/articles/renovation.html

Paul Kennedy