Aspen tree removal

I have a half-dead mature three trucked aspen tree I need to cut down in my residential yard. I understand if the tree is not completely dead, the root system will continue to sprout new shoots. Is there a poison or herbicide that would kill the root system and what is the best way to apply it?

Adams County Colorado

Thanks for your question. Aspen reproduce through their root system so you are correct, if the tree is not dead it can send out suckers and continue to grow. Your best bet is probably to treat with a glyphosate (the active ingredient in roundup) product or Brush Killer (active ingredient Triclopyr). Be careful with either of these as the glyphosate will kill any plant and the triclopyr will kill any broadleaf plant (flowers, trees, shrubs).
You want to apply the herbicide right after cutting the tree, focusing especially on the outer ring where the living tissue is.
Alternately you can have the stump ground out and this should prevent further growth.
Please let me know if you have further questions.