Water needs of daylilies

My Daylilies (small variety) aren't blooming very much. With the extreme heat we've had in Denver this summer, we've been watering them 2x a day, 15 min, with the sprinkler. Am I overwatering? I've also been trying 20-20-20 fertilizer. Bad choice? They are west facing and so get plenty of sun.

Thank you for your help.

Denver County Colorado

Good afternoon,

First, here is a link to some general information about daylilies.

http://planttalk.colostate.edu/topics/annuals-perennials/1032-daylily/

I think you are right 15 minutes of water twice a day is too much water for your daylilies. Daylilies perform best in moist, but well-drained soils and they can tolerate some dryness. In this hot weather, watering once every other day is probably plenty, and much less once the hot weather is over.

The 20-20-20 fertilizer is okay, but they only need it about once a year. A spring application of compost is enough for them. Your fertilizer might be encouraging leaf growth more than flowering.

An individual flower only blooms for one day, but is quickly replaced by a new flower. Established daylily clumps can produce 200 to 400 flowers in a season with each plant blooming for 30 to 40 days.

Remove the seed pods after they are done blooming to prevent seed production. Plants producing seed are likely to have fewer flowers the following year because they put too much energy into producing the seed pods. If you have not been removing the seed pods in the past, this could be why they are not blooming for you very much.

Daylilies are great plants in our Colorado climate. Best of luck with them.