Hydrangea leaves underneath plant turning yellow

Hi, I'm a resident in Hyattsville and this summer I planted three new hydrangea plants in my yard. One is a Smooth, one is a Little Lime, and one is a Bobo. All three are having issues with the leaves underneath turning yellow and dying. I think I was overwatering but am wondering if there is still something I can do, as I continue to have the problem. I have Hollytone and Soil Acidifier -- should I try one of those when I water next? And how often should I water them (realizing they are all in different spots with different levels of sun exposure)? Thanks!

Prince George's County Maryland shrubs hydrangeas lower leaf yellowing

Hydranagea paniculata 'Little Lime' and 'Bobo' grow best in full sun to partial shade. Hydrangea arborescens grows best in partial to full shade. Hydrangeas like a moist, well drained soil and will require more moisture in full sun. They can also be prone to wilting in full sun. Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and keep away from the base of the plants.
The fertilizer and acidifier will not help the yellowing. If the shrubs are dense, the thick branching may be shading the leaves underneath. Send us photos so we can see what you may be dealing with.