Juniper Tree

I have a number of spontaneous young seedlings of the Eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) growing in my yard. I want to transplant them along the border of my property. What is the best way to suceesfully transplant these seedlings....many are 8-12 inches tall. Thank you.

Carroll County Maryland plant care trees eastern red cedar juniperus virginiana transplanting red cedar seedlings

These are tough native trees. You can transplant now, but be vigilant about watering them through the summer and fall.

You could also wait until early fall--even late August-- to transplant. You'll still need to be very aware of watering through fall.
Do not wait until late fall.

Soak the soil well before you dig them up, if soil is dry. Have the transplant holes already dug. If we're in a drought, will the holes with water beforehand and let it soak into the surrounding soil, then plant and water. That way the dry soil will not absorb the water that you want to stay around the plant's roots.