Hosta pests

I have property in Florence and I have numerous hostas. Something keeps eating the leaves. I have never seen a slug or snail. I forgot to mention I’m two blocks from the beach. I’ve inspected the leaves and don’t see any pests. I’ve added compost, heavy wood mulch and at first it seemed to stop but now it’s back to nibbles again. Thank you for your time.

Lane County Oregon hostas horticulture

Can you send some photos? Certainly very sandy soil is a deterrent for slugs/snails, and you probably would have seen the critters by now or noticed slime trails if they were responsible. Deer are a possibility, but they aren't light eaters, so you might not mistake their activity for insects. If you haven't already done this, try going out after dark with a flashlight to see if you can catch any critters on the leaves.

FYI, I'll be on vacation July 10-17, so if you reply and the Ask-An-Expert system automatically assigns your reply to me, it may be a week before I reply. Sorry for that!

Thank you Jeff. I’m going to the coast later this week and will send pictures. I will also check at night. Have a good time while gone. I’m in no rush. They’ve been nibbling all this time so a little longer won’t make a difference. I appreciate your help.

Greetings! I'm back in the office, so if you get a chance to send some photos, I'll see if we can determine the cause of the holes in the leaves.

Thanks!