Are we saving bumblebees anyshere?

I have a bumblebee hive in my chicken coop... I got stung and my husband is allergic to stings. I want it moved (or destroyed) but I don't know how to move the hive. Since we are short bees, wouldn't we want to preserve this colony? Anyone know who would move/remove this? Thanks!

Ramsey County Minnesota

Thank you for your question.

Here is the response form the U of M Extension expert.....

"We do not recommend removing the hive since the colonies do not usually survive being moved. If possible, the best solution is to use some chicken wire to fence off the area with the nest to prevent contact. Hard to know without knowing more details about where the nest is. Do you know where they are in the state?

If they are in areas where the rusty patched bumble bee is found, it is possible, though unlikely, that they could have a rusty patched bumble bee nest. Destruction of the nest would be federally prohibited. You can pass along my information if they have more questions. A photo of the bees helps me figure out the best plan."
-Elaine Evans
Dept of Entomology
evan0155@umn.edu

Hope this helps.

Follow up comment from Elaine Evans....."Since they are in Ramsey County its possible that they may be rusty patched then, so they shouldn't do anything to disturb the nest until they confirm the species with photos."

Note - if you can take photos please email them to Elaine.

Thanks!!

I think we have a winner. This looks like a rusty patched bumblebee.

Don't worry, from what I heard from a bee keeper yesterday and that I read that they move on by fall, we already made the decision to leave them bee (pun intended)

Glad to be a part of saving the bees, even if I need to get stung by one...

Please let me know if you agree that this is a rusty patch bumblebee....sure looked like it to me.... Solid black head, yellow patch or spot on the mid back....wow! How lucky we are!

I think this may be a better picture...but I would bet this is the rusty patched bumblebee!

From Elaine....."Unfortunately that’s one’s not any better. Too pixelated to tell for sure."