Improve taste of Microgreens

Hello OSU! I was wondering if there was a way to increase the flavor an intensity of microgreens (sunflower, radish, pea, kale, etc). Is there a simple wasy to increase the Brix level even though they have such a small growing span (7-11 days)? Are there organic amendments i could add to the soil or possibly foliar spray with? (molasses, potassium boost) Thank you for the help! Kind regards, Karl

San Francisco County California specialty crops growing microgreens

Hello, and thank you for your question.

I was unable to find comprehensive scientific research to address your question on microgreens specifically. Flavor is a pretty complex subject influenced by many factors, not the least of which is the soil itself. And in most microgeen production, there is neither soil nor supplemental fertilization. Flavor and nutrition are mostly provided by the seed in microgreen production, so selection of the seed and variety are likely the most important factors in flavor.

I did find where some microgreen producers use liquid seaweed to enhance growth and flavor, but I did not find scientific studies to support this.

Testing brix levels is fairly simple, so you could experiment with various foliar inputs (approved as organic inputs) to assess their effect. If you are selling certified organic microgreens, then any inputs that you use and your method of production would need to be reviewed by your certifier.

Inputs may have food safety implications, so that would also need to be taken into consideration.

Good luck!