Saddle pads

Is it ok to put a second pad over an ortho felt saddle pad with shoulder lift for a high withered horse? I have a semi-quarter horse saddle, 15 inch seat. The gullet sits to low on the horses withers. I am going to try the ortho pad with shoulder lift. If that is not enough can I put another pad on top of that to build it up? Or is it ok to put a felt/neoprene wither pad right over the ortho saddle pad?

New York County New York

I am not the assigned expert but would like to weigh in. First of all, thank you for paying attention to your saddle fit. It is definitely worth paying attention to.

It is difficult to correct an ill fitting saddle with multiple pads. The higher the pads, the less contact you have with your horse. If the ortho pad with shoulder lift is not enough, you should strongly consider finding a saddle that fits your horse better. There is a decent article on saddle fit in the horse.com if you would like to read about it. https://www.horse.com/content/western-tack/measuring-and-fitting-a-western-saddle/