Grass identification

I have been trying to identify some grasses so when doing lawn repair I am using seed that matches the original grass rather than a blend. One sample is from property we have in Crow Wing County. Trees have been downed in storms and after stump removal I would like to plant seed that matched the native grass. The other is from our house in Anoka County. In this case the lawn is needing repair and, again I do not want to use a mish-mosh of seeds. I have attached two pictures which may or may not help. I tried to take picture of blades and seeds, I was told to check with the U of M Extension offices but do not know who to contact or how to go about it other than this. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks you, Joel Fantle

Anoka County Minnesota lawns and turf turf turfgrass

Most critical is to choose a grass seed with growing requirements (full sun, sun/shade, heavy shade, dry conditions, etc.) that match your site conditions. It's almost impossible to absolutely create a seed mix to match the grass species growing in your yard (there are often many on an established lawn). However, if you can determine the majority of the grass species such as Kentucky bluegrass or fine fescues, then you could choose a grass mix that will look similar. You can overseed with a seed mix, rake it into your lawn and then water daily to improve germination. This will help blend the seed mix into your existing lawn.

In any case, fall is the best time of year starting about mid-August to seed and improve your lawn. Right now, temperatures are too warm for our cool season grasses to germinate. Fall is also a good time of year to aerate and kill broadleaf weeds like creeping charlie, plantain, etc.

Here is a good webpage from Extension: https://extension.umn.edu/lawns-and-landscapes/lawncare#planting-344560