Bug eating my hanging ferns

There is some kind of Beatle looking bug eating my ferns. They are just covered with these bugs. What can I do? Plants are dieing. This bug also can fly and appears to have a hard shell. It resembles a tick.

Niagara County New York ferns pests

Thank you for contacting us. Can you possibly send us a couple of close-up digital photos of these bugs and the damage on the ferns? Perhaps then we can help you identify the pest.

Thank you for the photos. It is difficult to see the detail, but it appears you may have Japanese beetles on your plant. I've attached a photo here for comparison.

The most effective way to deal with most beetles is physical removal. Put a few drops of dish soap in a jar half filled with water, then brush them into the water where they drown. You can also use Neem Oil which deters them from feeding on your plant as well. Here is a video from the University of Maine that explains your options quite well:
https://youtu.be/aEUfoW1Yrz8