Pear trees

Both of my pear trees, summer sweet and Parker are 2 years old and this year at the beginning of junJ, both trees have curled leaves on them. I watered them quite a bit to see if that was the issue, it wasn't. The leaves are nice and green and glossy, but are curling and hanging down. I gave each tree a fertilizer spike for fruit trees per gertens instructions, but this hasn't helped. IdI like to know what is wrong with them to see if there is anything I can do.

Dakota County Minnesota fire blight pear diseases leaf curl

It's possible that the leaves shown in the photos have been affected by a bacterial disease called fire blight. The stem in the photo on the left with a blackened tip shows likely symptoms. The stem on the right is not diagnostic in this respect but if fire blight is present the leaves will soon wither and turn brown. If that doesn't happen, something else may account for the curl.

Herbicide drift also causes leaf curl and otherwise distorted growth.

Aphids cause leaf curl too but we see no evidence of their presence in the photos.

Here is a photo of pear leaves affected by fire blight:

Learn more about fire blight here:

The leaves have looked like this for a month now with no change. There is only a couple of brown leaves on the whole tree. Both trees look the same and I think one was resistant to fire blight. I did have a lawn service person spray the yard for weeds and fertilize shortly before this happened. If it was herbicide drift, is there anything I can do to help the trees? I thought of the herbicide issue also, so I watered the trees quite a bit to see if it would flush anything out.

If the leaf curl is not progressive (becoming more severe), the trees' condition is probably stable and they are likely to recover. If herbicide caused the leaf curl, nothing can be done now to reduce its effects.

Thank you very much for your help.