Bull snake eggs.

I found many purple eggs in my yard. The same as pictured on this site. They are coming up from the ground up. Emerging From the earth. I have disposed of approximately 300. This is an area where I grew grass watered frequently. And it’s puzzling as to what these are. It’s the same purple leather he slimed me and a white egg inside. Can you help identify what it is.

Bernalillo County New Mexico fungi possible hypogeous fungi

Thank you for your question. I don't know of any snakes, including bull snakes, that lay purple eggs. Also, they would not be rising up from the ground. If you have removed 300, I suspect they are some type of fungus. If you can send me some photos, I will be glad to research it for you.

Jim

Hi Ms. Wilhelm,

I received the photos you sent. I'm pretty sure these are false truffles or truffles. I'm sending your photos to a mushroom expert to see if she can give me some information regarding their identity.

I'll be back in touch as soon as I hear from her. Thank you for your patience.

Jim

Hi Ms. Wilhelm,

The objects in your photos are definitely a type of fungus. One possibility is a species of hypogeous fungi. Hypogeous fungi produce fruiting bodies that are either completely buried beneath the surface or are partially exposed above the surface of the soil. Truffles are good example of this type of fungus. There are also some other genera of fungi that are not hypogeous, but look similar to the ones in your photos.

Also, please note that just because your fungus may be a type of truffle, DOES NOT mean that it is safe to eat.

Identifying fungi based solely on a photograph can be very difficult, if not impossible, in many cases. You really need to be able to examine the specimen in person. The person I contacted is forwarding your photos to a PhD student in Oregon who is working on hypogeous fungi from Arizona, New Mexico and Mexico. She may be able to add some additional information.

Another possibility for obtaining help in identifying your fungus is to contact the New Mexico Mycological Society. They are located in Placitas, New Mexico. Their members have experience with the fungi in your state. Their website is located at:

http://newmexicomyco.org/

If I hear from the student in Oregon, I will be back in touch. I hope this information helps, and thank you again for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim