What snake leaves this skin

I have two small dogs and found this in our back yard. Should I be worried?

Dorchester County South Carolina snake skin id

Thank you for your question. Identifying snakes by a snake skin is often difficult. Unless you find the skin shortly after it has been shed, you usually can't see any remnants of the snakes skin pattern. At least for snake species in eastern North America, if you look at the scales on the underside of the tail (the tail starts right after the anal plate scale), if there is a double row of scales, with one exception, this is a non-venomous snake. The one exception is the Eastern coral snake, scientific name (Micrurus fulvius).

From what I can see of the types of scales on the head, I suspect your snake is nonvenomous, but I would need to see the entire skin to be sure.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about. The snake has probably moved on. I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim