Morphing into mono-cloved garlic?

I have been growing garlic in my garden for more than 10 years, always planting cloves from choice selected cloves of multi-cloved garlic heads. Last year i had maybe 5 % of the mature garlic heads come up single-cloved. (Of maybe 70 - 80 heads) In the harvest i did just this past weekend, nearly 30% of the heads were single-cloved. Why is this happening? (In a way it's not bad - more efficient for cutting up. But - less appealing as gifts to friends who like more typical-looking garlic.

Talbot County Maryland garlic vegetable single clove

We do not know why this occurred. Most likely this happened within the genetics of the cultivar that you planted. It may also have to do with spacing, soil, environmental influences, etc. Some people do like this and encourage it.
Do you know the cultivar that displayed this? If so, please let us know.

Many thanks for your prompt response. Unfortunately I do not know the cultivar --