What plant is this?

Can you identify the plant in the enclosed image? I am pretty sure it is some kind of orchid but have no idea what kind. It appeared in my garden in a mulched area in front of a planting of ostrich ferns. The area is heavy shade and dry woodland soil. I am in Olmsted County, between Rochester and Orinoco. It could be native or a seed may have been in the mulch (I purchased wood chips from Sargent's several years ago. It would seem unlikely as the mulch appears to be wood, largely old pallets that has been put through a chipper). I know it would be a lot easier if it was in flower. It has buds so I can send another photo when they open should it survive the beasties roaming around eating everything in sight. The resources I have found are good at showing flowers but rarely show plant habit. Thank you. Alan Straka

Olmsted County Minnesota

It probably is an orchid. Compare to helleborine: https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/helleborine.

Please note that if is is a helleborine, it is considered an invasive in Wisconsin, so keep an eye on it.