Sugar maple tree inquiry

I have a sugar maple tree that is 35+ years old with a diameter of about 42 inches. In the past, this tree has been dense with foliage and provided lots of shade. This year it has produced an extraordinary amount of seeds and the foliage is more sparse than past years. My question is due to the seed production could that be why the foliage is less dense or is this a sign of the tree beginning to die. Since it is such a huge tree and also close to my house I would want to be ahead of the game and take the tree down before it should begin to decay inside and come down in a storm.

Stearns County Minnesota sugar maple tree

Hello and thank you for contacting AaE for help.

I would wait to see if tree's the leaf cover thickens up. With a heavy production of seeds earlier this season, it may have sapped the tree's energy for leaf production (no pun intended). Even if does have a problem, trees take a long time to die from such problems as disease, drought or even many injuries; and since you said it's been leafing out pretty good up to now, you've got time to watch it.

If it doesn't get shadier in the next few weeks and if it also doesn't leaf out very well next year, then I suggest you call in a professional arborist for an evaluation.

I hope this information helps.