Locusts seem stressed in enver Metro area

I am an ISA Certified Arborist and Colorado native (but certainly no expert in diagnosis of many plant diseases). I, as well as many of my clients, can't help but noticing the lack leaves on many of the mature locusts around the south metro area this season. I'm just curious what abiotic factors you believe are related to this decline in foliation? The trees just seem to lack the succulent new growth and even the lack of standard watersprouts is evident. There was never a late season frost this year, which we have all seen cause a late push in leaf production. And this warm wet spring seemed to create a prolific flower production in all locusts. Interested in your take??? Thanks

Arapahoe County Colorado

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for this question. I, too, have seen some honeylocusts with less foliage than others this year. In some areas, I believe it was hail damage that stripped a lot of the foliage off the trees. However, if there has been no hail damage in your area, that would not be an answer for these trees. I've checked on Pestserv, the list serve that Dr. Whitney Cranshaw moderates, and there have not been any reports of unusual honeylocust damage by insects. It may be that the unusually dry winter we had this past year decreased the amount of leaf tissue produced by the plants.