Basil have yellow spots and feels wrinkly

Hi, my basil used to be green but after I put some mulch on it from my backyard, and I watered it with water mixed with orange peels and banana peels, there has been yellow spots occurring and the leaves turn wrinkly and feels old and fragile. Therefore, is it still safe to eat and what can I do to help it grow healthier? The roots seem to be infected because there are black marks on it and is it infected ? If yes, what should I do. Thanks!!!!

San Mateo County California vegetable gardening herb root rot

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert in regards to your basil plant. It sounds to me as if your basil has root rot due to overwatering and possibly to high of nutrients in its soil – we tend to over-love our plants!

Basil does its best in well-drained, moist soil with a neutral pH. I recommend adding a rich compost to the soil at the beginning of the season. No more soil amendment is necessary. In fact, if the soil is too rich, basil loses some of its flavor intensity.

Give basil water when the soil is dry to the touch, doing your best to water the plant at its base and not all over its leaves. Basil does not like wet soil nor roots. So at this time if your basil is still in poor condition I recommend getting a new plant and starting over with the recommendations above.

Happy Gardening and again, thank you for contacting Cooperative Extension Ask an Expert.