How can I prevent garden blackberries from spreading?

I love blackberries & want to plant some of the more interesting varieties in my garden. However, I'm concerned about them spreading & taking over like the wild ones do. Is there some way I can prevent blackberries from spreading outside the garden bed where I plant them, or do I need to just get one of the dwarf varieties that can be grown in pots?

Lane County Oregon blackberries horticulture

Thank you for your question. I wish I knew what type of blackberries you are considering, since some are invasive (Himalayan blackberry, especially) and others are upright bushes, almost like blueberry bushes. Others are described as good groundcovers, but not viewed as invasive. This list it a short one of native Rubus plants, whose descriptions are under "info."

On the commercial market, however, there are many varieties and cultivars (varieties 'created' by humans to select certain characteristics) that are well-behaved in the garden, especially the dwarf varieties you reference. Perhaps the best information I can supply is this OSU publication which contains more data than you probably need, but is as comprehensive as they come. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!