should I kill paper wasps

Hi. I live in a high rise in the city and some paper wasps have set up shop on my balcony. I hate to kill them but they are only about 4 feet from my sliding door and windows. I understand that the are not very aggressive but isn't that a little too close for comfort? I have a small tomato garden so I go out there almost every day and I figure they might not like that. At first it was only one wasp but now suddenly there are three and the nest is about the size of a ping pong ball. Will they recruit more friends? How big will the nest get? I don't want to cede the balcony to them for the entire summer, what should I do? My friend told me to just knock down the nest and they will fly away, but that sounds like a good way to get stung. Should I kill them? What is the best way to do that, I would prefer not to spray noxious pesticide near my tomotoes. Thanks

Baltimore Maryland vegetable beneficial insects and pollinators wasps on balcony

You shouldn't need to kill them.
They are not likely to mind you tending your tomatoes. Here is our page on them:
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/paper-wasps

If it really makes you uncomfortable, you can indeed just knock it down with a broom when it is small like this. Wait til there is just one or two (or none!) and they will go someplace else.