How to dispose of an ash tree?

I'm wondering if our ash tree was dying back because of emerald ash borer. Other neighbors have lost four trees over the past year or so, three different types of trees, none of them ash. When I saw this spring that our ash was suddenly dying back, my family took it down. Now that it's down I can see a ton of holes in the branches, and tiny tracks in the wood under the bark. I don't know if that happened to any of the neighbors' trees. Our intention is to keep the firewood to burn this winter, and also to have the branches chipped and distributed as mulch around our yard. Is this okay? If this is the emerald ash borer, might the wood chips infect our other trees? I'm especially concerned about our mature oaks. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Howard County Maryland trees eab

Your tree most definitely died due to Emerald Ash Borer. This insect does not bother other hardwoods. Your plan to chip and use for firewood is a good one.

Fresh woodchips should be aged 6 months to a year before being used around plants. You can pile them elsewhere in the yard for this aging.