dying plant?

We have plants in our yard which are dying from the bottom up, the leaves turn brown, starting from the bottom up. brown spots on leaves. It is on the phlox, the clematis, the cow parsnip and the creeping charlie.
my wife is the gardener . you can contact her at email below.
greenfiredancers@gmail.com we have see two different bugs on the plants. both small beatle like,maybe 1/4 long by 1/16 ,mostly black with and small round orange head,and long yellow stripes from front to back along the sides. the other bug was just red and round. very small.1/16 dia.

Hennepin County Minnesota

Hello and thank you for contacting AaE for help.

It's difficult to say what the problem is without photos of the issue. We would need more information and possibly photos.

There are lots of bugs that do not harm plants so a photo in that case would be very helpful. I think that the red, round, very small creature is a spider mite that does absolutely no harm if it's a very brilliant red (almost neon). They live in the plant debris in the soil.

The other bug may be one that can do harm to the leaves of plants but most don't just work from the bottom up. Typically, I think, they like the more tender younger leaves of a plant.) I'm having difficulty getting to the U of MN website where I can check out some possible suspects because they are upgrading their system right now. It should be working by next Monday the 2nd. I'll try to send another reply at that time.

In the meantime, if you could shoot some photos and send a reply to this email, that would help.

Good-luck!

We did send some photos. Apparently they did not go through. Will try again.

The problem presents first as numerous small, semi-transparent spots on the leaves with later browning on the edges. It's on many plants including garden phlox, clematis and even creeping Charlie (I didn't think anything would hurt that).

I don't see photos with your reply. Were you going to send them in a separate email?

Another option is to send samples from affected plants to the U of MN Extension Plant Disease Clinic. Here is a link to their web page where you can learn about their services, prices and how to submit samples.

Thanks!