hickory tree dying

We have a Hickory tree that has two primary trunks. One has died. The other one appears to be OK, but the bark looks different than our other Hickory trees. Question. Do you recommend removing both trunks, or cut only the one that is now dead? Tree is in the front yard. Any thoughts of why this one died? We have several in the neighborhood and hope this is not a bad sign! I have pictures on my c-phone I could share with you if given the address to send. Thanks, Kyle Cook 616 Sunset Dr Ashland, KY 41101 304-634-1926

Boyd County Kentucky tree health boyd county kentucky horticulture

Hello. Thank you for your question. Please contact the Boyd County Extension Office. I have included the contact information below.

Lori Bowling

Extension Agent
Horticulture
phone: (606) 739-5184
fax: (606) 739-4014

That was the first person I sent an e-mail to some 2 weeks ago and they never responded to my question, I thought you would have an expert contact me and very disappointed in your agency. Always thought your organization was one of the best. Guess I was wrong. Yesterday, I ageed to have a tree service remove the tree. We have several Hickory trees and hope whatever happen to this one will not impact those.

Hello. I am very sorry. I will make sure that the County Agent and the Supervisor are made aware of this.