Have raspberries ripening to market at Farm market. Japanese Beetles are a...

Have raspberries ripening to market at Farm market. Japanese Beetles are a major problem. Also possible Drosophila fruit fly. Also have blackberries that will be ripening in a few weeks. I have searched with little satisfactory results (mixed results) for a pesticide that I can use to control these insects and still pick and market eatable safe berries. Help!

Wyandot County Ohio

Hi There,

Good to hear from you! I think Assail will be good to use on Japanese beetles, and Mustang Max for SWD (spotted wing drosophila). Check the labels for more information.

Refer to this bulletin for more details: https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/hort/documents/id-465.pdf

Thanks for the information you supplied. It has been very helpful. I have located some Mustang and Assail. The Purdue id-465.pdf has provided much additional info and harvest days interval too. Also, looks like my neighbor who has a few berries will be able to use malathion on his red raspberries for small garden control.