Is this tree a goner?

We planted our honey locust tree in the fall of 2015, and it's been nothing but trouble. The first two summers we had a lot of deformed foliage, which I learned was due to the honey locust plant bug. This spring I sprayed it with Sevin. The foliage this summer is extremely sparse and wilted. Is it dead/dying?

Ramsey County Minnesota honey locust horticulture

I does not look good for this tree. If it hasn't gotten established in three years, it is unlikely it will ever thrive. Your job is to do a post-mortem. Why did it fail?

The seasons immediately after planting are the most critical for a tree. The root system has been compromised and adapting to a new environment is stressful. That is why we urge homeowners to be very careful when planting trees. Read here:
https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/planting-and-transplanting-trees-and-s...

But other possibilities include mechanical damage, critter damage, insect predation (which you mentioned), herbicide drift, drought and so on.