My Blue Spruce Trees

My Blue Spruce Trees are thinning on the bottom; the needles are falling off. The upper branches seem to be ok. This is happening to most of my trees. I have approximately 50 trees on my property. Can they be saved?

Benzie County Michigan

Without seeing a picture or the tree, it is difficult to say for sure what is going on. I suspect you have needlecast which as the name implies, causes trees to shed needles. The two most common needlecasts we find in spruce are caused by the fungal pathogens Rhizosphaera and Stigmina. .For some disease issues, such as needlecasts, fungicides may be effective in preventing or controlling the disease. It is important to note that fungicide treatments for needlecasts only protect new growth. For control to be fully successful, it may take two to three years of yearly fungicide applications. In addition to needlecast diseases, decline of many spruce trees can also be caused by canker diseases coupled with other disease and insect problems that plague the species. Here is a like to information on Spruce Decline - http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/what_is_spruce_decline_and_what_should_you_do_about_it