Please ID--poisonous???

Asked June 23, 2018, 8:09 AM EDT

I have this plant in a flower bed I've been working in. I'm not positive, but I think it may be poisonous. I'm breaking out and itching terribly. But it doesn't look like poison oak, ivy or sumac from the pictures I've seen. It's pretty woody, with roots/stems about half inch or more. No flowers. Starts out small, and then spreads. This one here is about a foot or so tall. Any ideas???

Olmsted County Minnesota hibiscus allergies skin irritation

1 Response

We might be wrong, but we think the plant shown in the photo is a hardy (perennial) hibiscus.

Some people react to contact with hibiscus leaves but that can be said of many common plants.