Treating cyanobacteria

I have a half-acres surface pond. In the past few weeks it has been taken over by what I believe to be blue-green algae. I have applied over the counter Cutrine Plus and ordered Cutrine Ultra. I do not see any benefit from the Cutrine Plus application. I am waiting on Cutrine Ultra. I don't have a chemical license. A. Is the Cutrine Ultra the correct product? B. Based upon the limited information I am providing, do you recommend another course of action

Oklahoma County Oklahoma

The first steps in dealing with an aquatic plant problem should be to identify the offending plant plant and to look at underlying causes for the overabundance of the plant. The photo appears consisitent with an algal scum of some sort but a close up photo or actual plant material is need to verify this.

Excess nutrients, perhaps from lawn runoff or leaf accumulation in the pond, should be considered as a possible underlying cause.

High nutrient water will be repopulated quickly by algae following a herbicide treatment. Algae is quick to regrow when light, nutrients and warmth are abundant. The best management approach involves reducing the availability of nutrients and light.

I hestiate to give a cookbook solution to the problem. It would be best to explore all the above topics to see what are the likely causes and feasibly approaches. Aquatic dyes, such as Aquashade, are often used to reduce light levels, but reapplication and proper timing is needed. I suggest looking over factshets at facts.okstate.edu - search for "pond"
Your Oklahoma County Extension Office (405 713 1125) or I would be happy to help further..