Dead yard: fungus...winter kill???

A majority of our front yard is very unhappy this year. There seemed to be some problems the past year or two which I voiced to our lawn service provider with not much assistance. I replaced a row or two of sod along the sidewalk last summer. That is the part that is doing better now. Should we tear it ALL out, just the affected parts, treat the lawn with something ???? Any help would be appreciated!

El Paso County Colorado lawns and turf

Thank you for your question. Yes, there is definitely an issue. I cannot say how to manage this until it is determined what the issue is. I suggest you take a sample of the grass (a sample that has both dead and living grass) into the Master Gardener Help Desk (see link below). A Master Gardener can help with identification. I recommend you call the Help Desk and verify that it is staffed. It is not staffed all business days.
One more thought... The damaged area is on a slight slope. Have you verified that your sprinkler system is working properly, i.e., water is getting onto this area.