Early leaf drop poplar trees

I have numerous tulip poplar trees on my property, and the leaf drop right now seems incredibly excessive and terribly messy in outdoor living spaces...it is like fall before fall. I am interested to know if this is usual. I have had leaf drop previous years mid-summer, but never as early in June as this year. the leaves are yellow with dark spots. Thank you.

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Tulip poplars often have a leaf spot disease that is usually of little consequence. We need to see clear close-up photos of the spotted leaves in order to identify what leaf spot your tree has. You can attach photos easily to a reply.

One other possibility is that, because of excessively favorable conditions for growth this spring, the tree had put on more foliage that it needs and is shedding some--much as fruit trees will drop excess fruit.