Milking your goat

Hi, I am in 4-H and am curious about milking my goat I have read a lot and was wondering what do you think in more important being consistent with your milking times or milking 12 hours apart? I realize that these to options go with each other but say I wanted to milk 3 times a day to make a better udder for fair and I milk at 10am, 3pm, and 8pm instead of 8am, 12pm, 8pm is that an acceptable milking schedule in your opinion?

Deschutes County Oregon goat milk

Any of the options are fine, to get a better udder however it needs to be allowed to fill and stretch out to get full capacity so milking 3 times a day will not accomplish this. If you milk twice a day and make sure that you milk out completely, it will allow the udder to extend and the capacity will then grow along with the udder. Good nutrition and scheduled milking along with nature will take care of the rest.

In addition, since you are from Deschutes County, you are welcome to call some of the 4-H volunteer experts in your area...Judy Hackett is one I know: 541-548-0729 or Charleen Lopez: 541-548-2226 both are always willing to help others in the dairy goat business.