Ash Bore

How effective is the treatment for ash bore by a professional tree service company? I have a large ash in my front yard that is healthy and I have a large ash tree in my back yard with the disease and would like to wait until the ground freezes this winter before I have it removed. Can I wait that long for removal or would it be better for the front yard tree if I got the diseased tree out sooner then later? I listen to WCCO radio on Saturday mornings and always enjoy the U of M part of the program. Thank you..... Sandy Akers

Hennepin County Minnesota

The treatment if done by an experienced tree care company and pesticide applicator is very effective as long as the infestation and die back is less than 30% of the canopy. Leaving the other tree standing until winter for removal is fine. If it's removed in the summer, the beetles just fly to another tree and infest it.