Treat Harvrsted Blueberries with vinegar spray to eliminate funguses?

Asked June 20, 2018, 8:56 PM EDT

Vinegar spray on fresh blueberries to electric fungus? If not, what other method to avoid eating contaminated berries?

Multnomah County Oregon food safety fungus

1 Response

You have an interesting question. Hope it is an auto correct or I have no clue what you are talking about when you say electric fungus.

You do not say if these are home grown or commercial. If commercial, then the farmer follows the days to harvest very closely so sprays should not be an issue if you wash your berries before eating. If you are growing them yourself and they are moldy then you should not be eating the moldy ones and wash the not moldy berries well with water should be sufficient.

If you plan to keep the berries for any length of time you should freeze them because berries are quite fragile. If the berries are not dirty, the recommendation is to freeze them and then wash them when ready to use. Washing before tends to soften the berries more and also they will stick together.

Vinegar water is not necessary. It only changes the pH and can change the flavor of the fruit. If you want to use it it is not a safety issue so go ahead and try it. Probably will not be any more effective on the fungi then plain water. Again if they are moldy then we recommend not eating them.

If I did not interput your question correctly please send me another one answering the questions about what you mean by contamination, electric fungus and whether they are commercially grown or home grown.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert.

Nellie Oehler