I purchased this Hibiscus online. I was concerned when I received the...

I purchased this Hibiscus online. I was concerned when I received the shipping notice as other online nurseries I've used have gotten their plants to me in 2-3 days, but these guys used a very slow method. It seems like this plant was kept moist and deprived of fresh air for too long. My questions are: Can this plant recover? (If so, what needs to be done to help it recover?) If I plant it, can this problem spread to other plants in my garden? Or should I return the plant for a healthy one? (I uploaded the photos, but I can't see them here, so I don't know if you can see them.)

Multnomah County Oregon hibiscus mailorder problems

Do not plant this bedraggled specimen. You should not attempt to "rescue" this bedraggled specimen.

As soon as possible, contact the vendor to request either a refund or replacement. Phone as well as email your request and attach images.

What is the white stuff? Why should I not try to heal the plant? Is that not possible?

It’s actually quite sturdy. It was in the bright sun, with fresh air, roots soaked in some water for awhile, while I waIted for some helpful advice. Surprisingly, much of the white stuff has disappeared.

I’d appreciate a little more information to explain your conclusion before I sentence it to the debris pile. (Without knowing what’s going on I don’t even know if it’s safe to put in the compost pile or yard debris bin.)

Thank you.

thank you

You wrote: "Without knowing what’s going on I don’t even know if it’s safe to put in the compost pile or yard debris bin."

Absolutely correct.

It's your choice to request a replacement or to try to save it.

It sounds like you’re saying you can’t advise me because you don’t recognize what’s going on. Is there anyone else available to respond who might know something about Hibiscus who might have more complete info?

Long-distance diagnosis is risky at best. Photos never reveal as much details as can be seen in person.

You can take the plant to the Multnomah County Gardeners who can examine it for possible damage that's not visible in photos. The office is in Montgomery Park, 2701 NW Vaughn St. Suite 450, Portland, OR 97210. Phone 503–445–4608. Hours are 10 AM to 2 PM, Monday through Friday, closed holidays.

Good luck.