Low maintenance crop options for a small acreage

We are looking at purchasing a 21 acre parcel of land zoned exclusive farm land. It has no water on it currently but I'm sure that a well good be drilled in the future if needed. It is currently planted in oats as a cover crop but has had Christmas trees on it for many years. We are wondering what kind of crop could we plant on it that is low maintenance that would bring in enough money to pay the loan on the property approximately of around $600 / month. The other option I am looking at is potentially leasing it out to another grower for a crop like hazel nuts or Christmas Trees.

Clackamas County Oregon small farm issues crop options

Thanks for your questions. It sounds like the property currently does not have water rights and this will limit what you can successfully produce on the property. You can contact the District 20 water master (503-722-1410) for more information on that parcel of land.

Start off by reading the What Can I Do With My Small Farm publication. This will help you think through options for the property and offers more resources to dig deeper. https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/ec1529_0.pdf

Please let me know if you have further questions after reading the publication.

Thanks.