What’s wrong with my lilac?

Hello, Can you tell me what this is on my lilac tree? We discovered this when my husband cut the branch off because it was dying. It does not appear to be on any other branches. Any advice you can provide is appreciated.

Baltimore County Maryland wildlife pest cherry tree tree pest - other cherry tree with woodpecker holes

These are cherry trees. Is this the correct plant?

We see some holes in the closest branch. They appear to be woodpecker holes. They would probably not be responsible for killing the branch.

Thanks for your reply. We have many woodpeckers visiting our yard. I'm glad it is not a bug doin the damage.

The tree is in fact a tree lilac although the bark does resemble a cherry tree. It is a later blooming variety of lilac.