Snake identification

Any ideas on the type of snake this could be ? He was 8-10" long, young...and very close to my house.

Outside United States

Thank you for your question. Can you tell me in what country you saw the snake? This will help narrow down potential species.

Thanks,

Jim

He was seen in Hamilton , Ontario...edge of a forest and close to wetlands.

Thank you for your question. The snake in your photograph is a juvenile eastern milksnake, scientific name (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum). It is a non-venomous species. The juveniles have much brighter colors than the adults. As the snake gets older the bright red blotches of the juvenile often darken to a more brownish-red. Typical length of adults is a little over 2 feet, and maximum length can be slightly over 4 feet.

Milksnakes feed on a variety of prey, including small rodents, small birds, amphibians, several species of lizards and several species of snakes, including venomous snakes. They also feed on invertebrates like slugs, roaches and beetles.

Here's a link to the Ontario Nature website where you can learn more about this species and its distribution:

https://ontarionature.org/programs/citizen-science/reptile-amphibian-atlas/milksnake/

I hope this answers your question, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim

Thanks Jim, Great information...and so fast.
Much Appreciated !

You're welcome. Contact us any time.

Jim