Cedar Apple Rust

Hi! We planted a couple of apple trees this year -- a honeycrisp and a golden delicious -- and it looks like we have cedar apple rust. Cutting down cedar trees isn't an option, since they're all in somebody else's yard! I've read about using fungicides, but I don't know what to use. My trees are still very small... the largest just about four feet tall. What should I use and is it something I should use now, or wait until next spring?

Nelson County Kentucky cedar apple rust nelson county kentucky horticulture

See attached two publications that should be very helpful in getting your trees to go in the right direction. A product that contains Myclobutanil will be your best option for cedar apple rust. In the future, planting resistant varieties will greatly reduce the risk of infection. One variety in particular is Enterprise, but there are others. Treating now will not change anything that exists but having the product on hand is half the battle.