Tomato digger

I have a tomato plant in a container on a low deck. Three times now, some animal has dug up the soil in the pot. So far the plant hasn’t been harmed. Is there anything I can put in the dirt to keep this animal away? It seems to happen during the night or early mornings before I’m up.

Ramsey County Minnesota

Raccoons are probably digging in the container. They may do this out of curiosity or because they are attracted by fertilizer or other substances in the potting soil. Raccoons find organic fertilizers such as fish emulsion especially attractive.

It might help to take the container indoors over night for a few days until the plant is well established and the animal has moved on. If that's not possible, try covering the container and plant with a box or something else heavy enough to discourage the nuisance activity.

We don't know of any reliable raccoon repellents.