Is this a fungus?

While out for a walk today I noticed this white ... something at the base of this pine tree. At first I thought it might be a egg sac for some insect, but after posting to social media someone suggested it might be a fungus (http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/pinellasco/2011/0)/22/those-mysterious-molds-part-1-the-blob/)

The images I caught don't appear to be this "dog puke" fungus and let's be real for a moment: it hasn't exactly been that wet in Colorado in the last few weeks to justify a fungus growing this quickly (I didn't notice in yesterday or the day before and I walk this trail every day). So, my question is: is this safe for humans and dogs? Is it indicative of something else such as a tree disease? Is it fungal or insect?

Elbert County Colorado trees and shrubs

We are more than happy to help you with identification, but I have some additional questions to help me in this process.
What is the relevance of the prickly pear picture? Where is it in relation to the tree?
Could you send a picture that has the prickly pear and the tree in it?
What side of the tree is the substance located on? Is it possible that it was smaller previously and grew quickly over night? Where is the tree located (elevation, closest town, etc.) and was there any dramatic change in weather preceding the appearance of this substance. Thank you for providing this additional information. We will get back to you as soon as we receive the information.