Curling leaves on Shadblow Serviceberry.

I planted a Shadblow Serviceberry Bush last spring in wooded area of my Bloomington backyard to replace cleared buckthorn. Jack in the pulpit and Solomon’s seal are growing in that area too. Very tall, mature locust, mulberry, and other unidentified deciduous tress with tall bare trunks and foliage at the top. The leaves on the Serviceberry are curling in. Why? The second serviceberry that I planted at the same time on the edge of the woods getting a bit more sun and at a higher elevation is doing better, yet doesn’t have any new growth. Why? What should I do?

Hennepin County Minnesota

Recovery from transplantation takes time. The tree will take a year or two or three to start to grow. It is putting out more roots now. It needs to get an inch of water per week, more if the soil is dry to a depth of two inches. The leaf curl could be caused by the exceedingly hot weather and probably was or from aphid feeding. Aphids have been very active this year and the numbers are high.