Agriculture Business Question

Asked June 11, 2018, 4:24 PM EDT

Hello! I am not entirely sure that this is the right place to ask, and if it's not maybe you could direct me to the right place but... I have been making something called Bokashi from the spent grains I collect from the breweries in town and I would like to sell it. It is used as a soil conditioner and anaerobic compost activator because of the indigenous microorganisms I inoculated the spent grains with. In order to sell this product would I have to get a permit or license through the department of agriculture? I am also curious about getting the indigenous microorganism serum that I make tested to find out exactly what is in it. Is that something you guys do, or do you know who would do that? Thanks for your time, Kimberley

Lane County Oregon

1 Response

I think I would start with a call or email to the Oregon Department of Agriculture Pesticide, Fertilizer, and PARC programs: Granted, bokashi is neither of those things, but I think starting with the folks who regulate the application of things to soil would be the way to start.

In terms of getting your bacterial community characterized, I recommend this Extension publication: EM 8677 Analytical Laboratories Serving Oregon
Revised June 2017.This guide can be useful for commercial growers, gardeners, and homeowners who wish to use soil, plant, and water analyses to help them make ...