Poison Ivy

Asked June 10, 2018, 9:48 AM EDT

We have a bumper crop of poison ivy, maybe also poison oak or sunac, that has infiltrated our yard and flower beds. It is growing up trees and over the fence. We are extremely sensitive to it. How do you suggest we rid ourselves of this problem? Thank you

Kent County Maryland poison ivy weed

1 Response

For light infestations you can dig and hand pull small plants. Wear disposable plastic gloves, long sleeved shirts and pants. Or If anyone is going to try to pull vines out, you can wrap plastic garbage bags up your arms while handling the vines. Then, when you're done, simply pull the "garbage bag sleeves" off from the very top, turning them inside out as you pull. Dispose of the bags in the trash very carefully. Be sure to wash all clothing with very hot water and the strongest soap possible. Same goes for your skin.

Vines that are climbing tree trunks can be cut (carefully, of course) with a sharp knife or pruners NEAR the ground. The cut ends can be "painted" with a glyphosate solution, which will get the chemical directly into the plant and on to its roots. The vines that have been cut can remain in the trees; they'll die eventually.

Spot spraying the foliage with a non-selective herbicide containing glyphosate (Round-Up, Kleen-Up) or a poison ivy killer on the market may be necessary. See our publication on poison ivy http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG34%20Poison%20Ivy....

mh